All new mice should be quarantined in a separate area of your home from any other rodents for 2-3 weeks prior to introducing to your current mice.
- If mice seem healthy at 2-3 weeks, you’re ready to introduce them to your current mice, if not extend quarantine until everyone is healthy.
- Completely clean & sanitize the cage and toys prior to introductions
- Initially place all the mice into the clean enclosure with nothing but bedding, food & water. Observe for 20-30 minutes. If no blood is drawn or serious fighting ensues, add in everything but the wheels & saucers.
- It is completely normal for a lot of fighting to ensue as the girls figure out their hierarchy! You will hear screaming, squeaking, chasing & even see the females mount one another as they establish who will be the alpha. What you do not want to see is blood drawn or intense “fur ball” fights where they are rolling around in a ball as they fight. The introductions & dominance fighting can seem very intense for a few days and can be very startling to first time mouse owners. Remember it’s important they figure this out on their own!
- Wheels/saucers can be added back after 24-48 hours. If they fight over it, remove it for another 24-48 hours. These are high value items, so if they are going to have a serious fight, it will be over these.